The following outdoor locations are great fun for families with young children.
1) Alexander Art Trail (SF) Hand-carved outdoor sculptures along the trail and a painted rock exhibit.
2) Moosehorn Wildlife Refuge (SF)
The main trail off Charlotte Road is paved and an easy walk.
3) St. Croix Island Historic Site (SF)
Paved walking trail.
4) Waterfront Walkway (SF)
Gravel path along the river.
5) Weald Bethel Trail System
Easy walking trails, picnic area. Located at the Maine Seacoast Mission Cherryfield campus.
6) Waterfront walkway (SF)
Paved walkway along the water.
7) Cobscook Bay State Park (PG) ($)
Picnic area, playground, easy walking trail.
8) Tide Mill Farm
Families are always welcome to visit the farm and garden.
GRAND LAKE STREAM
9) Dawn Marie Beach Path
1/4 mile walking trail to beautiful undeveloped beach on Wabassus Lake.
10) Musquash Esker Trail
1.4 mile (2.8 round trip) easy walking trail through forest to Big Musquash stream.
11) Trail To Tomorrow
0.6 mile loop educational trail with interpretive signs along the path.
12) Harrington Family Health Center (SF)
Paved walking track and pirate ship playhouse.
13) Local bike and ATV trail (SF)
Paved trail starts at the bridge.
14) Sandy River Beach
Large family friendly sand beach.
15) Mowry Beach (SF)
Boardwalk, and sandy beach.
16) Quoddy Head State Park (SF) ($)
Bog Trail along boardwalk through peat bog. Signs explain the special plant life, which includes carnivorous plants like Venus Fly Traps!
17) Middle River Park
Easy walking trail, grassy area and picnic tables.
18) Milbridge Commons Park and Garden (SF) (opening Fall 2018)
Crushed gravel walking trail, edible gardens, children’s play area (spring 2019).
19) Gleason Cove Park (PG)
Gravel beach, grassy area, swing set.
20) Sipayik Trail
Paved, easy 2 mile trail, stone beach.
21) Roque Bluffs State Park (PG) ($)
Easy walking trails, grassy picnic area, children’s playground.
Downeast Sunrise Trail System (SF)
Wide crushed stone pathways that run from Pembroke to Ellsworth. Check out their website and map to find your nearest trail entrance is.