Halloween is an especially fun time that kids and families look forward to all year. But it’s important to keep in mind a few things so that everyone stays safe and enjoys the day. Below is a list of top tips from our friends at Safe Kids:
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors. Since masks can sometimes obstruct a child’s vision, try non-toxic face paint and makeup whenever possible.
- Have kids use glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, remind them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
- When selecting a costume make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
The hard truth is that children are twice as likely to be hit by a car on Halloween than any other day of the year. So it’s important that we take extra care to keep this a happy and healthy holiday for all!
To learn more, click here to visit Safe Kids Worldwide.